- The Great Reagan Legacy? What Crap!
- J. Speer-Williams
- Ronald Reagan brought presidential deception to a whole new level.
Famous for his sound-bytes, Reagan provided adoring republicans all they needed to know
about their "say one thing and do another" sort of president.
- It was Mr. Reagan who promised to get government off the backs of
Americans and their entrepreneurs. It was Reagan who said that government was not the
solution to our problems, it was the problem.
- "The nine most terrifying words in the English language," said
Reagan, are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you." (Please note
that's ten words, not nine, but Reagan rarely researched the written material given him,
but did practice his delivery.)
- Was it Reagan, who joked, "If it moves tax it. If it keeps moving
regulate it. And, if it stops moving, subsidize it."?
- The Great Communicator talked a good game, but did little to improve our
lives; and, he had eight years in which to do it. The Reagan promises to inaugurate a new
era of liberty and free markets, were worse than empty promises, Reagan assaulted our
liberty, our future prosperity, and free markets with unprecedented spending, increased
taxes, more governmental regulations, bigger bureaucracies, and unwise trade policies.
- But, rabid Reaganites never noticed Mr. Reagan's disseminations; they
form their opinions from meaningless sound-bytes, rather than facts, that could cause them
some painful self-inspection.
- Government spending, during Reagan's administration, was double that of
the preceding Ford and Carter administrations. In fact, Reagan's budget requests were only
marginally smaller than what the democratic spendthrifts in congress wanted.
- Reagan even asked for more foreign aid than Congress was willing to
spend; but, he did push through congress a $8.4 billion increase to our enemies - the
foreign, private International Monetary/Banking Cartel's International Monetary Fund, back
when a billion dollars was still an astounding amount of money.
- Reagan tripled our Gross Federal Debt, from $900 billion to $2.7
trillion (Pardon me while I caught my breath.). It took former presidents 31 years to
triple our debt, but Reagan did it in a mere eight years. Inflation is a cowardly and
hidden way to increase taxes on the American people, and Reagan did plenty of that.
- Reagan promised to cut personal income and business taxes, but the
so-called Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act - the largest tax increase in American
history up to that time - was enacted in 1982. Then Reagan proposed increased taxes on the
trucking industry, which drove up prices of food and other commodities, all prior to his
increase of $165 billion on Social Security taxes.
- Then in 1986 came Reagan's deceptive Tax Reform Act, (TRA) which shifted
$120 billion from personal income taxes to taxes on small businesses, the fountainhead of
what was once our middle-class affluence. The Reagan administration loudly promoted the
lower tax rates of TRA, but said little about the increased taxes to our most valuable
economic segment; nor was much made of how TRA repealed or reduced many tax deductions on
all tax returns.
- The government that Reagan claimed he wanted to get off the backs of the
American people never came to pass, and Mr. Reagan made sure of it by initiating what
would later become the greatest world-wide economic crash in recorded history, with his
de-regulation of banks.
- America is and was badly in need of government de-regulation of
government, but not of the private banking cabal. Mr. Reagan de-regulated at exactly the
worse place possible. It could even be said that Reagan is the "Father of the World's
- It was, also, Reagan who appointed the little reptile - Alan Greenspan -
as chairman of the Federal Reserve System, the gremlin, who along with Bill Clinton,
carried Reagan's banking de-regulation policies to the ultimate crime against humanity.
- And Reagan's trade policies? All protectionism, which drives up the
price of imported consumer goods; but, that is all too boring to go further into.
- I will say Reagan's lies sounded better and were more convincing than
Obama's empty promises; but then again, Reagan was a far better actor than Obama is. But
politically? There's little difference between what Obama is and what Ronald Reagan was.
- The great Reagan legacy? What a crock of crap!
- Until our republican voters wake up and stop supporting democratic
politicians, who call themselves republicans - and until democratic voters come back to
the real world of reality, and stop supporting fascists, who call themselves democrats,
our lives, in our once great country, will continue to deteriorate.
- One, two, three - Wake Up America! (J.